Dec 20, 2005

Wankhede Stadium

Saturday, December 10 2005. Left Powai at ~13:00. Was a Saturday and I was hoping to get a few things done that on weekday I'm too lazy to do. So after a stopover at Dadar and Grant Road I reached Marine Lines station. A 20 min walk and I was at the Wankhede stadium for the Ranji match between Mumbai and Bengal. I'd never seen Wankhede stadium before. Was very impressive. I've been to the Brabourne Stadium and the Chinnaswamy stadium before but I liked Wankhede better. No there's no proper explanation for this. It's just they call as the "Bombay/Mumbai" effect.

There were around 60-100 people watching the game. Right next to was a small kid who was busy trying to break the number-of-silly-questions-per-minute record. Bengal team were playing their second innings and they were trying to not to lose any wicket before the end of the day. Overall a very relaxed atmosphere. An occasional appeal for leg-before or a caught behind triggered some "ooooh" and "well-bowled" responses from the audience. Suddenly the crowd started clapping and cheering. I thought I missed out a fall of wicket but that wasn't the case. The kid next to asked his dad "why are they clapping"? I had the same question on my mind and so I listened to Papa's answer. The patient Papa pointed him to the electronic score board and told him that Sachin had scored his 35th century in Delhi.

The kid said "but why are they clapping here?"

No comments: